Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: SO2R Again

To: <sawyered@earthlink.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: SO2R Again
From: "Russell Hill" <rustyhill@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 10:11:31 -0600
FWIW: I have recently tried to get back into contesting, and for various personal reasons having nothing to do with the contesting community, have been unable. I hope to do so before long, but who knows.

I have however been reading the mail on this reflector, and would like to share a thought or two.

SO2R-- requires a level of committment and expertise which I will likely never reach, but it is nonetheless a single op performance,and should be honored as such. If Joe is SO2R-ing and I am plain single radio and he beats me, then he beat me as a single op and that is that. Good on 'im!! No unfair advantage at all, just a better operator. To complaints about SO2R, my thought is "Get better, or get beaten by a better op!"

Different categories for power levels? Sure-- although I do not believe a bigger amp is as decisive as a better antenna system, including higher. We've all seen a lot of scores where the lower power station with outstanding antennas outscored the higher powered station with lesser antennas.

Higher antenna sytem? AHA!! I believe most water pistols are that mostly because of restricted antenna systems. Maybe it would make sense to pick some arbitrary antenna height which would put a station into one or another class. It might be 40', or 50' or perhaps 60'. (Or perhaps 10M, or 15M, or 20M.) 'Tribander and wires' has attempted to level the field for some, but perhaps an arbitrary antenna height might less subject to creative interpretation than some other criteria. A rule could be: "The 'limited class' shall consist exclusively of antennas below the height of nn' or nnM. The use for any purpose whatsoever of any antenna above the height of nn' or nnM shall place the entry into the 'unlimited class'." Scoring or entry reports could include a report of the highest antenna used. Yes, folks could cheat, but it would require a statement which the op would know to be an unambiguous lie, and anyone who was familiar with the station would also know. Perhaps peer pressure in this area would cut down the cheating.

Incidentally, when I get my antenna fully grown, I expect it to reach 90', so I am not suggesting a criterium which would benefit me.

73,
Rusty, na5tr

----- Original Message ----- From: <sawyered@earthlink.net>