Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting with an Apple Mac computer?

To: "John WA2GO" <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting with an Apple Mac computer?
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:30:20 -0500

On Nov 23, 2004, at 8:44 AM, John WA2GO wrote:
Are there any serious contesters out there successfully using an Apple Mac or Powerbook?

Yes. I have loved Macs for many years. I'm writing this to you on a PowerBook now.

If so, what are the options for software, and how is rig interfacing performed for radio control, voice keying and CW keying?

Contest software is in short supply. Jack Brindle is working on Software for the K2. I end up using a Windows laptop for my contest logging. (I've been meaning to write a good contest program for several years now....)

For rig interfacing, you'll need to buy a USB->Serial converter. These can be had pretty inexpensively. The unit I use is from KeySpan. I got the unit with the DB-9 connector, since it is much easier to find cables for.

I have never even owned a Mac, but keep hearing such great things about them I thought I would give it some serious investigation.

I love my Macs! I bought my wife an iBook last February. She has fallen so deeply in love with it she wonders why she ever bothered to use a Windows PC.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901