Re: [CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: Limited AntennaHeight Ca

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: Limited AntennaHeight Category
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:56:40 -0500
I don't think it's quite that simple... or for that matter, that
complicated.

Considering the number of contesters currently submitting electronic logs,
or using logging programs to generate their paper logs... considering
further the number of logging programs that can generate either ADIF and/or
Cabrillo format files, to say nothing of the number of conversion programs
available... what's the big deal about submitting two email submissions --
one to the contest organizer to enter the contest, one to Logbook of the
World -- by those that choose to use the system?

And -- since many have decided, at least for now for any number or reasons
not to participate in LotW, why would we "backdoor" them into the system?
I'm quite sure that there would be many screaming bloody murder about having
their contest logs matched into LotW without their prior knowledge or
permission (which, of course, will be blamed on the ARRL -- isn't everything
these days?).  Why are we in such a rush these days, anyway?  Do the
bragging rights of the award(s) involved mean that much?

As far as the DX contest credits, yes, they considered it -- I asked about
that at Dayton a year or three ago.  The response was very detailed about
what could and could not be done and why, but the bottom line was that it
would only take an extra step and a few minutes to process the log with
Trusted QSL for LotW submission, so what was the big deal about it?  I don't
think the "trust" issue here has anything to do with amateur morality, past
or present, but with making the system itself trustworthy.  If you believe
the system can be easily compromised by bogus QSO data (as can so easily be
done with eQSL -- and I have a "P5SLIM" eQSL to prove it), you have no trust
in the system.  If you do not trust the system, you won't use it or rely on
it.

The onus here should be on the contester & contest station, not the League,
the CQWW committee, or any other organization.  If you want fast
confirmation for awards purposes of the contest logs, then encourage your
fellow contesters to submit their logs.  It's that simple.

And FWIW, once I finally got off my duff, got my LotW credentials in order,
converted most of my logsm and uploaded them, I got more "confirmed QSOs" in
the first 15 minutes than I've seen in at least 5 years of eQSL activity.
Not sure what that means, but it sure is interesting trivia!

73, ron wn3vaw
12000+ post-1983 QSO's uploaded, pre-1984 QSO's to go