RE: [CQ-Contest] Chiming in -- SO2R

To: <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>,"'Bill Turner'" <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Chiming in -- SO2R
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:33:33 -0500
K0HB writes:

> Your "limited" category couldn't be an equalizer of that same sort;
> it could only set an upper limit which ultimately would stifle the
> spirit of competition.

I disagree.  Within a given region (state, section, call area, etc.)
a "limited" category would eliminate the big variations among the
external factors that effect score (e.g., power level, significant
antenna disparity, assisted, multiple operators).  It would not
penalize operator skill but I believe the most skilled operators
will want to drive the "top fuel" dragster instead the factory stock
model.

Would there still be competition in the "limited" category - of
course!  Would the most skilled operators still wind - certainly!
Would a "limited" category appeal to beginners, those with "normal"
antenna installations and no amplifier - you bet!

I strongly believe replacing the current category structure of
most contests with a limited/unlimited/multiple operator structure
recognizes the reality of most home stations and still provides
a platform for those who want to build/operate superstations.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK