Re: [CQ-Contest] Chiming in -- SO2R

To: steve.root@culligan4water.com (Steve Root),cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Chiming in -- SO2R
From: W0uo@cs.com
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:29:08 -0500
Steve makes excellent points.

The amateur service is a service of "self training", and contesting is an ideal
means to that end.

It has always been interesting to me that the rules for most contests state
that awards will be given in each section, state, division, call area, or
whatever local area with no mention of top ten lists, etc.  The development of
top ten lists, etc is no more than the editorial policy of the sponsoring
organization, and that can and should change.

In my view, it would be constructive to recognize and emphasize year to year
improements, solid efforts from difficult locations or during less than ideal
conditions, improvements from prior efforts, etc. This follows the general
advice from the One Minute Manager, praise each and every improvement. Some of
this is being done, in terms of regional record scores, clean logs, etc.
Hopefully the contest reporters can improve on what has already been started.

73 de Jim
W0UO/5