Re: [CQ-Contest] Signing /QRP In Contests

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Signing /QRP In Contests
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:44:45 -0600 (CST)
I almost always operate QRP portable in VHF+ contests.  In ARRL contests,
the limit for this category is 10 watts (not 5 as in commonly accepted HF
QRP circles).  10 watts will go a LONG way with decent antennas on 432
and up.  Moderately sized portable beams have a lot of gain up there.

I NEVER sign /QRP.  I figure the other guy will do his best to hear me and
if we complete the QSO, great.  It's difficult enough without adding
more things for him to copy. He can always look in the contest results on
the web to see what category I entered in. Quite a few people in my area
know that already by previously announced contest plans.  :-)

As an interesting note, on VHF+ if the other guy is over S7 on my
receiver, no matter where he is or what mode of propagation (tropo, AU,
FAI, etc.) I can work him with 5 to 8 watts.

73, Zack W9SZ