Re: [CQ-Contest] Thoughts on a technique

To: ah3c@frii.com, ke1fo@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Thoughts on a technique
From: W0uo@cs.com
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:39:04 -0500
You have a good idea. I have done something similar in the past by making
specific plans for how I would operate the contest.

The plan consists of several elements:

First, a goal for multipliers and qsos by band.  I make this from experience
and expected conditions, and generally plan for a score about equivalent to
last year's winner.  The goal gives me incentive to keep plugging when I am
tempted either to rest or go DXing instead of contesting. Sometimes I make my
goal, but often I don't.  I am sure, however, that my scores are higher as a
result.

Second, a plan for band changes. Over the years I have done this several ways.
When operating QRP, I try to be on bands that are still open, but relatively
empty.  Such as staying on 40 after 20 opens, staying on 20 after 15 opens,
etc.  In other circumstances I plan differently. Spending time with a
propagation program can help here.

Last, I try to keep track of easy multipliers such as contest expeditions, etc
and try to be sure to work them on all 6 bands.

All this assumes experience, which you can gain either from lots of on air
experience, by talkling with other contesters, from examining your logs, and
from looking at propagation possibilities.

73 de Jim
W0UO/5