[CQ-Contest] OT: BPL news

To: YCCC <yccc@yccc.org>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] OT: BPL news
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:01:56 -0500
See http://www.arrl.org/ for a new story on BPL. In this case, big-time ISP
Earthlink has stated to Michael Powell and the FCC that BPL isn't going to be
cost-effective as a last-mile delivery mechanism. Those of us who have always
believed that BPL is doomed to succumb to it's own limitations should be
pleased to hear this kind of statement. But, this news shouldn't give us reason
to reduce our efforts to ensure that the risks and problems of BPL are dealt
with. We need to continue to hammer away at exposing the weaknesses of the
technology and the interference issues. Although the deployment of BPL probably
won't be stopped in its tracks, those who consider deploying it will proceed
slower if they must deal with the legitimate objections and barriers being
raised.

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.designet.com/k1ir