Re: [CQ-Contest] OT: BPL news

To: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>, YCCC <yccc@yccc.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] OT: BPL news
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:32:35 -0600
At 09:01 AM 12/16/2004 -0500, Jim Idelson wrote:
See http://www.arrl.org/ for a new story on BPL. In this case, big-time ISP
Earthlink has stated to Michael Powell and the FCC that BPL isn't going to be
cost-effective as a last-mile delivery mechanism. Those of us who have always
believed that BPL is doomed to succumb to it's own limitations should be
pleased to hear this kind of statement. But, this news shouldn't give us reason
to reduce our efforts to ensure that the risks and problems of BPL are dealt
with. We need to continue to hammer away at exposing the weaknesses of the
technology and the interference issues. Although the deployment of BPL probably
won't be stopped in its tracks, those who consider deploying it will proceed
slower if they must deal with the legitimate objections and barriers being
raised.

Jim Idelson K1IR email k1ir at designet.com web http://www.designet.com/k1ir

I attended an interesting conference regarding wireless communications this past month. It was sponsored by the WNCG (Wireless Networking Communications Group) at UT. Our CTDXCC club member Ted, N9NB, a good friend of mine, is the Director of WNCG and is a faculty member at UT. I wanted to relay a conversation I had at a conference reception.

One of the panel members and active participants at the conference was Ed Thomas, who is the Chief Engineer of the FCC in Washington, DC. Ed is 61 years old and extremely vigorous and active. He holds an amateur radio license, W2ZES as I recall, but is not active on the air. Ed formerly was CTO of ATT and after that was CEO of two companies. He has had a lot of practical experience and is quite sharp technically as well. He holds a PhD as well an MBA. I had the opportunity to have a long (almost two beers in length) one on one conversation with Ed on the subject of BPL.

He agreed with me that BPL offers no advantages over either cable or DSL or satellite in terms of delivering TV into the home. In addition, BPL is starting out five years behind the competing services. Ed also agreed with me that BPL would not be able to keep up with future new developments in wireless. Further he agreed that it made no economic sense to talk about BPL as a means to provide rural service to farmers and people who live way our in the boonies as that would be uneconomical to do for the power companies to do. Ed made the comment that politicians made those claims and the technical staff at the FCC simply had to accept some political posturing on both sides. He went on to say that he felt the main long term potential for BPL lies in the "machine to machine" area. As an example, he cited communications with controllers between home appliances and systems controlling the home from consumers who are at the office or on their way home in a car or on mass transit. He also went on to say that things like traffic lights could be part of a communications system that could link with and connect other machines and controllers. The fact that literally every home and office and building and business in the world is connected by electrical wires makes a BPL network have tremendous potential in his opinion. He feels the long term potential of BPL lies in other areas from the delivery of TV, although that is feasible and some of that will happen as well.

So the conversation turned to interference, and the potential of damage to amateur radio. Ed was really forceful, the word vociferous almost could apply here, that the FCC would tolerate no interference to licensed services including but not limited to amateur radio. He said a procedure was in place, and that the BPL companies were able to notch out frequency bands, and that the BPL companies would be shut down if they persisted in interfering. I prodded him that it would be impossible once they got up and going, but he stated repeatedly that the wording in the law was clear and iron clad that they must clear up offending interference!

Ed was, of course completely aware of all the ARRL points, and indicated he talks with Dave Sumner frequently about BPL. Ed understands the ARRL position from both a technical as well as a political point of view. This summary provides only a brief outline of the conversation, however I felt fortunate to be able to "corner" a person of such knowledge and position for such a lengthy conversation on a controversial topic like BPL.

Jim George N3BB