RE: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!

To: n7jb@arrl.net,CT1BOH - José Carlos Nunes <ct1boh@sapo.pt>,<CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:10:04 -0500
At 09:19 PM 1/17/2005, n7jb@arrl.net wrote:
During a contest, I am tuning around listening for contesters that are
actually trying to win the contest.  I am just searching and pouncing, not
trying to win, just trying to work some DX and get used to WriteLog
(especially on RTTY!).  If I don't hear your call, I will just spin the
dial.  HOPEFULLY, I will spin back and catch you later.  I will certainly
TRY!  The more frequently you identify, the better chance you'll have of
working me and perhaps other S&P-ers.

In this connection, N1MM Logger has an interesting capability. If you call someone while S&P but aren't successful, and decide to move on, you can tell the program to put the call on the bandmap as soon as you QSY. Then you can just hit Ctrl+Up Arrow/Down Arrow to jump back to the frequency and try later. If you find a station in a pileup who is not identifying, you can add him to the bandmap with a unique identifier ("pile1", for example) to come back to later by the same technique.

I find this capability has materially improved my S&P efficiency.

73, Pete N4ZR