Re: [CQ-Contest] Time for a fix

To: "Barkey, Patrick M." <pbarkey@bsu.edu>,<CQ-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Time for a fix
From: "Milt Jensen" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:32:16 -0700
Pat,

I agree, but the proper direction towards a possible solution is to
recommend what would be more "fair".  No set of rules regarding scoring is
ever going to be 100% fair, especially in this contest where LOCATION plays
such a great part of the Q count AND the mults.

There will NEVER be a semblance of truly "fair" scoring unless a factor of
distance is instituted in the scoring, a la Stew Perry Distance Challenge.
For example, replace the simple points per Q based on country/continent,
etc. with a points per Q scoring based on distance and replace the
State/Province/Country mults with multipliers of the CQ zones since this is
a CQ contest.   Make the report the Zone # and the State/Province/Country
simply to have a similar exchange but one that is meaningful.

Plaques, Certificates, etc. could still be sponsored for
State/Province/Country winners.  The Grid Square and CQ zone would be part
of the log submission for scoring purposes.

Sure, it will change the flavor of the historical CQ 160 contest but it
would definitely make the scoring more realistic and "fair".

If the "Contest Committee" and Director of the CQ WW 160 desire to make any
changes is unknown, but it sure would be nice to have ALL logs
simultaneously scored in a different manner just to see what the results
might be AND give some hard data towards a scoring change possibility.

My "dos centavos" for some thought and for someone with time and number
crunching ability/availability to do a trial run on a few logs to see what
the results would be.  As a starter, use NA5NM, NN1N, K9NR, VY2ZM, D4B, a
couple of top level EU stations, a couple of top level JAs and any others
who would provide a good reference to see where the chips fall.  I predict
the top dogs will still be top dogs BUT there will be a significant closing
of the gap between similar equipped stations/ops no matter where they are
located.  Suddenly the top level JAs will appear way up the list because of
the distance factor.

Milt, N5IA
One of the ops at NA5NM