[CQ-Contest] R: Does size matter?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] R: Does size matter?
From: "IK2DZN - Claudio Astorri" <ik2dzn@astorri.it>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:07:11 +0100
Hi contesters,

I do agree with Bill. Let's take antenna heigth, for example.

I had a TH7DXS (a very common trapped antenna...) at the top of a 67 meter
tower in the early 90's.

The performance at low angles was simply outstanding.
I could work at 59 many US West Coast stations and Japanese ones via long
path from Italy while hams in my area with similiar antennas couldn't even
listen to them.

High gain from a large or even stacked system is good news only if the
antenna heigth is such to push to the low angles you require.

Have a nice day.

Claudio Astorri, IK2DZN