[CQ-Contest] When does the contest end?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] When does the contest end?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:10:39 -0800
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 03:27:26PM -0800, Ken Widelitz wrote:

> In the 0000 and 0030 example, since there is only 29 minutes of off time -
> it shouldn't count as an off time at all, since off times require a minimum
> of 30 minutes.

Technically true - but we have made the decision to count these as a valid
break - but just for 29 minutes.  I call this "doing the right thing".

> And what about the last few minutes of the contest where you don't make any
> QSOs. Shouldn't that count as off time, even though less than 30 minutes,
> because you ran out of operating time. I didn't make any QSOs in the last X
> minutes, so why should I be dinged QSOs for excess operating time. Maybe I
> wasn't operating those last few minutes.

Yes - any off time at the end of the contest counts as off time.  And even
if it didn't - they would be the minutes removed anyway and since there are
no QSOs in those minutes - you wouldn't lose anything.

Either way - "the right thing" happens.

Tree