Re: [CQ-Contest] When does the contest end?

To: "cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When does the contest end?
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:10:12 -0700
From: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>
To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 5:10 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] When does the contest end?

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 03:27:26PM -0800, Ken Widelitz wrote:
>
>> In the 0000 and 0030 example, since there is only 29 minutes
>> of off time -
>> it shouldn't count as an off time at all, since off times
>> require a minimum
>> of 30 minutes.
>
> Technically true - but we have made the decision to count these
> as a valid
> break - but just for 29 minutes.  I call this "doing the right
> thing".

OK, I think I've almost got it now. Let me go back to my original
SSCW report:

TIME ON CALCULATION
2100-0849 =  710
1313-1605 =  173
1635-0154 =  559
           ------
  On time = 1443 minutes (max of 1440).

In the first segment, I made a qso at 0849, so 0849 was an "ON"
minute. It doesn't matter if the qso occurred at 08:49:00 or
08:49:59.  You can't just do a simple subtraction to figure ON
time, since the starting and ending minutes are both ON. You have
to adjust the subtrahend, minuend or remainder by one minute.

Notice that my total op time was computed to be 1443 minutes, but
the individual increments (710 + 173 + 559) only add up to 1442.
What happened here, I guess, is that my second break (1605 to
1635) was
only 29 minutes long, because 1635 was an "ON" minute. Tree
decided not to declare 29 minute breaks "illegal" because it is
"doing the right thing." (Whew!)  However, the extra minute of
operating time generated by my 29 minute break got added in at
the end, and that's how the total came out to 1443.

One thing I don't understand though. Why didn't the log checker
compute my last op time segment (1635 to 0154) as 560 minutes,
rather than 559? That would have made my op time 1444.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ