[CQ-Contest] What to log?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] What to log?
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 01:20:01 +0000
K5ZD's release of the latest SCP file gave me a chance to look at this.

I go through the file, as there are a lot of duplicates in it (whether USA
station having to sign /something for some contests, or the apparently
outdoor-loving SP5s, as seemingly half of them appear a second time
as /5 ;^).  And there is the occasional N02R (instead of NO2R), too.

Of 15423 raw W & VE calls, 17 are Ws in VE or vice versa.  Of the
7 VEs in W, all calls are correct.  Of the 10 Ws in VE, half of the
calls are incorrect (must be call/VE#, not VE#/call).

What should you do?  Some of these are probably like FM/TO4A,
but when somebody calls you & you know that's not a valid call,
what to do?

Closest thing to this I can think of is YU4.  VR2BG master log of
some 125k Qs has 36 YU4s in it, of which 24 were in a contest.
This is from 1999 to present & I see I still am working the occasional
YU4 even in 2005.  I went through all the log check files I have &
I don't see loosing any YU4 Qs.

As I understand it, YU4s really shouldn't count - but I still work them.
Although some may argue that portable front-or-rear is a minor issue,
the callsign for W<>VE operation is clear - must be portable-on-the-end.

Log what he should be sending or log what he actually sent?
Interestingly, the best example I can find is 1Z9A - who was flagged
as an incorrect zone (I logged the 31 sent), but so far, no penalties for
instances of logging-what-was-sent-although-I-know-better best I can
tell.

73, VR2BrettGraham