[CQ-Contest] FW: [UK-CONTEST] WPX CW GW3NJW SOSB15 HP

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] FW: [UK-CONTEST] WPX CW GW3NJW SOSB15 HP
From: "Clive Whelan" <clive.whelan@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 23:45:28 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: uk-contest-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:uk-contest-bounces@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Clive Whelan
Sent: 30 May 2005 19:28
To: uk-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [UK-CONTEST] WPX CW GW3NJW SOSB15 HP

Hi list

Well, I should have been using GW7X in this event ( a unique multiplier), so
what happened? I overslept, that's what happened, and made a silly error.
Had intended to be in the shack by 0400z, but in the event it was 0515z by
the time I made it . Effectively I was sleepwalking therefore. I had already
set up the WL module, and used the CW message file from last year, which was
the source of the error, since last year I used my own callsign. In view of
my doziness therefore, it was only after 20QSOs that I realised that I was
using the "wrong" call. At that point I decided to go on, rather than
restart the contest with GW7X. That may well have cost me some, since GW3 is
no different to G3, G4 etc in this one, whereas there would only have been a
single GW7 around. However I suspect that very few operators hunt
multipliers per se, since after all every second or third QSO is a
multiplier anyway, without even trying. This remains an imponderable of
course, and can be held in reserve as an excuse for my lack of success!

The object of entering was to get a handle on the performance of my newly
erected Moxon rectangle. This resides at the massive height of 27ft, hiding
behind the house from the prying eyes of the conservation area cops, on a
small push up pole. The only way they could see this is by coming into my
property ( my dogs would have their leg off![ I jest, they'd lick 'em to
death!]), or from 200 yards away on the footbridge over the river Ely, and
even then only by standing on each other's shoulders, and I doubt that even
they are that keen!. Of course the fact that nobody else can see it, also
implies that the antenna can only see the roof and tree tops, which probably
doesn't help radiation efficiency. The problem is that the Moxon does not
readily nest, so that I have to find somewhere else for a 10m version, but
this won't bother me for a couple of years yet; no place to hide a 20m
version, and it would need to be much higher anyway. The bottom line seems
to be that it was an outstanding performer, and the only gotaway in the
contest was KG6DX who was covered up in East Europeans. I have never been
called by so many weak U.S. and Eu stations before, some of whom were almost
impossible to resolve, although I only gave up on one station in fact. This
in itself tells a tale I think. Of course I'll still get marmalised by the
really big guns ( e.g. IY4W, DF0CG et al), but there's no way to compete
with signals of that ilk. It was interesting to note that both the
aforementioned big guns S&P'd me, which can only mean that their rate did
drop sometimes.

Conditions were much as predicted by Proplab, with good openings to the far
east ( marginal to JA, only one heard) and VK6 ( but not VK4 nor ZL), and of
course Africa and South America, with very low K and A indices, but the real
surprise was when I heard the U.S. off the back of the beam at about 1115z
on Saturday, with the band staying open for an amazing 12 hours or so.
Signals were never massive, and only reasonably well equipped stations made
it, which meant that the rate was never massive to say the least. Overnight
the K index rose to 3 or 4, which meant that there was no repeat on the
Sunday, although the big guns were still making it across. Even VE3s were
still making it, and I worked a VE5 also which is truly astounding. Of
course there was then a massive Es opening which in turn reminded me of NFDs
past, when the sun always shone ( that's right isn't it!).There is something
magical about the path to NA on 21Mhz near midsummer, which does not seems
to be explained by conventional propagation wisdom (the MUF only rises to
18Mhz), which is-of course- what makes it all so fascinating. I well
remember back in 1998 ( a different era of course) working LUs and PYs along
the grey line with just 100 watts to a doublet. I remember having geoclock
up on screen, and watching the grey line creep across the path. As this was
happening, I started to hear my own backscatter echoes though the QSK- the
first time ever on 21Mhz- peaking at about S6 at the centre of the grey
zone, and then fading away. A little later I heard and worked both KL7 and
KH6 within a bout 30 minutes of each other, and from memory around 22-23z;
wonder when we'll ever hear the likes of that again? Doesn't it all remind
you of the magic of HF radio which got you into the hobby in the first
place. Is it still as magical for you today?; it is for me, how very lucky
we all are . OK I'll cut the cackle now, here are the numbers.

73

Clive
GW3NJW

                   CQWW WPX Contest, CW