[CQ-Contest] NAQP Rules and the District of Columbia - Time ForAction!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Rules and the District of Columbia - Time ForAction!
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:57:38 -0400
Fellow Contesters,

As one who cannot devote much more than 12 hours per contest, I really
enjoy all aspects of the NAQPs... except that the District of Columbia,
where I live, appears to be the only north American US entity
(certainly in CONUS) that does not count as a separate multiplier.

The NAQP rules state:

"Multipliers: Are U.S. states (including KH6 and KL7), 13 Canadian
provinces/territories (British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI,
Newfoundland/Labrador, Yukon, NWT and Nunavut) and other North American
countries. District of Columbia counts as Maryland. Non-North American
countries, maritime mobiles and aeronautical mobiles do not count as
multipliers, but may be worked for QSO credit.

---------------

My question is what are the "other North American countries" in the
rules above.

If Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands are considered "other North
American countries" -- they appear to be -- and are counted as
multipliers, and noting that both (along with Guam, a "Non-North
American country") have the same political standing and representation
in the US Congress as does the District of Columbia (i.e., one
non-voting Delegate in the House of Representatives; subject to federal
taxation; Congressional (House and Senate) approval of local
legislation, etc.), is this enough ground for DC to count as a
multiplier, too?  We residents of the District are no more citizens of
Maryland than residents of Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands are.

A recent callsign demographic survey showed the following
population/number of licensed amateur radio operators (from
http://www.ah0a.org/FCC/ARRL/State0A.html)

District of Columbia = 572,000 / 417
US Virgin Islands = 97,000 / 289
Puerto Rico = 3,800,000 / 5534
American Samoa = 63,000 / 103
MP (Commonwealth of the Marianas) = 59,000 / 377
Guam = 157,000 / 520
AA (Military - Americas) = 46
AE (Military - Europe) = 268
AP (Military - Asia) = 256

I made a similar query/request some years ago of the NAQP managment and
received a terse "no way" to any consideration adding DC as a
multiplier.

I'd appreciate a better understanding of the rules as stated above, and
a path we as contesters might follow to rectify this situation!

73,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC