Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Rules and the District of Columbia

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Rules and the District of Columbia
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:40:24 -0400
Some background:

The House of Representatives consists of the following members elected by
hteir come sonsituencies:

435 Representives, proportionally (i.e, based on population) from the 50
States

4 Delegates, one each from American Samoa, The District of Columbia,
Guam,  the Virgin Islands. None have voting rights on the floor of the
House.

1 Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.  The Resident Commissioner does
not have voting rights on the floor of the House.

The Residence Bill of July 16, 1790, established a site along the Potomac
to be the capital. This federal district was first called the Territory
of Columbia and the federal city the City of Washington. The name changed
to the District of Columbia in 1793.

The District of Columbia is governed under the District of Columbia Home
Rule Act of 1973. While we pay federal and local taxes, vote in
presidential and local elections, serve in the armed forces, serve on
federal juries, etc., *all* legislative and budget actions passed by our
elected City Council and Mayor must be approved by Congress before being
enacted.  For those curious, Congressional oversight is often cited as a
contributing factor to both the inability of the District to impose a
commuter tax and the regular moves in Congress to move government offices
out of the District into Maryland and Virginia.

I cannot speak to the specifics of Indian reservations, national parks.
etc. other than to say thay they are represented in the Executive Branch
(specifically the Department of Interior).  For information regarding
Indian reservations, try http://www.doi.gov/bureau-indian-affairs.html

73,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC