Re: [CQ-Contest] 40M "Woodpecker"

To: <BobK8IA@aol.com>, <w2nra@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40M "Woodpecker"
From: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:49:58 -0000
Hi Bob: Once again, as you know, I often do, I didn't explain myself. The new
OTHR system is owned by the Australian Gov't. They have freely admitted it and
until recently had a paper on OTHR on the i'net, it's gone now. The equipment
is not on mainland Australia. Their 'supposedly' testing on a 'limited' basis.
My personal belief(guess), somewhat educated, is they are not using it for
Radar but are using it for, some type, of  communications. I've worked several
VK's who say the signal is a lot stronger there than it is here.  I've listened
to it many times and I noticed the repetition rate is faster than the old
woodpecker and more constant, which sort-of indicates a data stream rather than
just pulses. This has been going on now for several months and is no longer a
'novelty'.

This is a quote from ZL2BR: "" low-side of the weekend, was the OTHR QRM
problem on 40m, (which lost me a lot of contacts), which over the past few
months is increasing to real annoying
levels on 40m and 80m, due I believe in part to the commissioning of a new OTHR
system in Australia. In the evenings the OTHR signals are S8/9 on 6990-7070kHz
here. ""

MAL              N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
http://www.ctaz.com/~suzyq/N7mal.htm