Re: [CQ-Contest] Everyone uses CT (and Packet)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Everyone uses CT (and Packet)
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:13:20 -0400
N6TR wrote:
 >I couldn't ever figure out the INSERT key to start sending CW - just too far
from the home typing position (and too small of a key).

         Funny you mention that Tree.  I learned to
put a Green dot on INSERT and a Red dot on PLUS.
This wouldn't work for color-blind folk but it's
worked well for me since the late 80's.  I think
my logic was Green for the exchange beginning
and Red for the end.  INSERT is definitely in
odd places on laptops (and + is impossible since
it's a shifted key) but I always use full-sized
keyboards and never found it awkward.  I guess
it's all in what we get accustomed to.

         On the Finnish Treasure Hunt, I never said
it actually violated any rules.  However those
competing with the OH*W stations for EU standings
might feel differently.  I would like for someone
to explain how incentives for working only
select stations makes for a level playing field
for others in the same class.  OH1NOA emphasized
that this was simply a competition within
Finland to determine the WRTC Team Captain,
and I'm sure they did not intend it as an
overall contest advantage.

         Somehow the Packet-spotting contest degrades
the whole thing IMHO.  Wouldn't it have been
better to block all the OH*W spots to encourage
people to actually tune to find the stations?
No, that's too difficult.  We want to encourage
everyone to depend on Packet and the Internet
rather than learning to S&P themselves.  What's
truly ironic is that the prize is a video of
the WRTC competition, which does not allow Packet
for the actual competitors!

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV