Re: [CQ-Contest] OH plan on WRTC competition

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] OH plan on WRTC competition
From: "Teijo Murtovaara" <teijo.murtovaara@netikka.fi>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:48:06 +0300
sawyered@earthlink.net wrote:
> I think the concept is great.  Have a regional competition and have
the
> best represent the country in WRTC.  I wish the US clubs would do
>  the same.
> Especially at 100W (Just ain't the same, boys, with the amp tube
>  filimants
> dark).  But then they go and spoil it with the "how many times can
>  you spot
> us contest".  When we start giving a contest prize to the station
>  who spots
> a select group the most, we have seriously started down a very
slippery
> slope and begun the dismatling of contesting as we know it, in my
>  opinion.
>
> It may be true that the 100W OH*W staions have no chance of winning
>  against
> a 1KW station in EU but I wouldn't make the same statement against
>  the 100W
> stations in EU and there is now a Low Power category in IARU.

As sweet as it would sound I think that there is unfortunately no fear
of that to happen. If you check the results from last year you will see
that in 100W mixed category the winner HG3M scored more than 2M. In the
same category OH4R scored "only" 1.2M. He was certainly not using a
WRTC-setup but a reasonably big setup (see http://www.qsl.net/oh4jfn/).
The highest scorer in HP MIX category (and not even in the top ten) from
Finland was OH2U scoring just 1.96M (lower than HG3M with low power!).
OH2U is one of the biggest contest stations in our country with a 200ft
tower etc.

It is true that in IARU 2002 the WRTC-stations made some impressive
scores with modest setups. We must also remember that instead of a plain
OH prefix the stations were using new OJ-prefixes that had never been
used before. That certainly did not hurt at all. The propagation in that
particular contest was as good as it can ever get from this far up in
the north. Actually I have never before experienced such ufb conditions
in IARU-contest.

Remember that the guys are just competing against each other. I doubt if
they will ever send their logs to ARRL anyway.

Teijo OH6NIO