Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating Methods and Equipment?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating Methods and Equipment?
From: "Buck - N4PGW" <n4pgw-list2@towncorp.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:11:22 -0400
I realized before getting involved in contests that I would be no
competition to the more experience, or those with decent stations.  I am
running barefoot (100watts) into a limp dipole from down in a hole.

My goal is to do the best I can do and to compare my contacts per hour from
one contest to another.  In many situations, rather than compete with
others, I compete with my best score.  I like to see that I am doing better
than others, but that isn't my goal. It is hard to compare a station like
mine with one on a hill with 6-8 element mono-band beams, or even reduced
size tri-band, reduced size Yagis.

I would find my score as compared to other operators more valuable if I
could compare their stations with my own.

I have often thought of a good contest being the "Dipole Derby", a contest I
conceived where all operators are separated into Cliff-dwellers, dipoles and
similar antennas, QRP, <50 watts and up to 150 watts categories.  I can't
help but think that it wouldn't be long before it would be nick-named, the
Diaper Derby.

Well, I wouldn't know where to begin to sponsor a contest, but I
occasionally check into contests and operate when I get a chance.

73 for now,
Buck
N4PGW