Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Contesting Activity

To: ne0p@lcisp.com, <cq-contest@contesting.com>,Tom Frenaye <frenaye@pcnet.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Contesting Activity
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:26:04 -0500
My two cents: short term, not at all.  In fact, the boomers' retirement can
provide a boost to contest activity.  Contesting and DX are two of the most
important "killer apps" for CW.  So that's good.  As new people enter the
hobby, some will be attracted to CW as they learn of the intense interest
in certain circles, and are exposed to these "killer apps."  It simply
appeals to some people.  Long term, the activity will decrease as the large
demographic wave of long time CW contesters will age.  The numbers game is
against CW over a ten to twenty year span.  The situation for phone
contesting is not too different, but there is less of an entry barrier.

Jim N3BB