Re: [CQ-Contest] FCC on CW

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FCC on CW
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:00:41 -0700
Here's a third option.  Invite non-contesters to do a few multi-ops
(SSB) with you.  Do the same with CW, using one of the many CW to text
software apps so they can make contacts without knowing the code.  If
you give them a little training and let them go to it, some of them will
start wanting to get on from their own stations.  Initially, their
stations aren't going to be that effective for either contesting or
DXing so they'll have a built-in incentive to use CW, provided that you
have properly demonstrated the fact that CW gets through pileups that
would be hopeless on SSB.

Once you've got 'em sucked in, though, you'd better be ready with a
means of helping them learn the code.  Maybe your local club runs code
classes.  If not, maybe you could, either through a club or on your own.

Keep on doing this and you'll raise a new crop of contesters, at least
some of whom will become CW ops.

It's up to us to make CW attractive.  I believe that this is the way to
do it.

73 de Jim Smith   VE7FO