Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW SSB. Mathematics

To: jmaass@columbus.rr.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW SSB. Mathematics
From: Simon Pearson <lists+1@attenuate.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:28:23 +0100
Jeff K8ND wrote:
> I was distressed when looking through the PJ2T UBN for
> a CQWW CW to find that we lost two P4 QSOs on 160 meters
> when the operator typed the letter "O" (Oh) instead of
> the digit "0" (zero) in the "P40" prefixes.
>
> A stupid, very hard-to-find typo that a human log checker
> would never find/penalize, but which the computerized
> log checking finds and penalizes with mechanized glee!

I've never understood this issue! In today's day and age of
contesting, rate is king but accuracy is key. You cannot be forgiven
for such errors. The "oh" and "zero" keys are totally separate
locations on the keyboard (if using the numpad).

The solution, when checking the log post-contest, is to use a fixed
width (monospaced) font with a slashed zero. There are plenty
around. Check out http://tobias-jung.de/seekingprofont/ - there are
some nice samples there. I use ProFont and/or Proggy fons for email
and IRC.

I understand that you may make a high number of QSOs from a
Caribbean QTH, but it all depends how much you are willing to lose
(or not) from QSO penalties as to how closely you check your logs.

Cheers,

--
Simon Pearson M0CLW
WWYC #452 | G6PZ CG