Re: [CQ-Contest] An idea for contest support

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] An idea for contest support
From: John Bastin K8AJS <bastinj@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 08:23:45 -0400

On Aug 3, 2005, at 4:26 PM, Shelby Summerville wrote:

> I've experienced the same situation, with the mailing of NAQP RTTY
> certificates. I use the same type paper, same type envelopes,
> basically the
> same information is printed on each certificate, yet when the local
> USPS
> weighs them, some exceed the 1.0 limit? Early on, I just stamped
> and mailed
> them, but several were returned for insufficient postage. Now the
> USPS gets
> to print postage for 50+ envelopes.

For what it's worth, I'll pass along a postage tip that I learned
while working on mailing invitations for a couple of weddings. Not
sure where it originally came from, but it has definitely helped.

When doing what amounts to a bulk mailing like this, mailing a lot of
the same item, don't weigh one stuffed envelope. Weigh _ten_ stuffed
envelopes. If the weight shows anything over ten ounces, chances are
you're going to get hit with "insufficient postage."

You can then make adjustments, either to the postage applied or to
the contents of the mailing, your choice.

Hope this helps.

73,

John E Bastin, K8AJS
jbastin@sssnet.com