[CQ-Contest] [Fwd: Report of KU8E/K4BAI IOTA Contest Expedition toJekyll

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] [Fwd: Report of KU8E/K4BAI IOTA Contest Expedition toJekyll Is, GA]
From: <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 17:07:05 -0400
See K4BAI's interesting story of our adventure to the coast of GA for the IOTA
contest.

Just some observations on my part ..

Why is there so little activity in this contest from NA ???  The EU stations
make 3 times as many
QSO's then the highest score in NA. Now I know how all the VK/ZL stations feel
during a DX contest when hardly anyone turns their beams down their way !!

This contest could have some potential if the rules were tweaked... How about
more points for
working someone on a different continent ???  Right now 99% of the activity is
from EU and they
have no incentive to work anyone else. Also, how about more points for QSO's
that island stations
give out. You get 15 points for working us but I only get 3 for working you...
unless you are on an island.

Maybe the contest sponsors can do something to encourage NA participation ???
I know they have
some plaques awards for top NA island / non-island stations.  They also have an
expedition class with 100 watts and a single element antenna. Only thing is
there can't be a bridge from the main land
to the island to count for the expedition class. Don't really understand why
that should be a requirement ??  It's just as easy to fly to a Carribean island
an operate as it is for us to drive over the causeway to Jekyll island which is
pretty rare on the IOTA Island list. Why exclude these islands ??

John, K4BAI, and myself have made a trip to nearby islands the last two years.
These trips have been more for fun and to activate a "rare" one for the
deserving. We knew before we started that it was a long shot for us to have a
competitive score that was good enough to actually win a plaque for something
for our efforts. Not sure if we will bother anymore since it would be nice to
have some
incentive to make the trip in the first place...

73, Jeff  KU8E