Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Base

To: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Base
From: "Richard Thorne" <rmthorne@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:47:00 -0500
A new category or making remote stations qso's checklogs only is not the
answer.  Mater of fact no answer is needed, at best I would guess a
little clarification is needed.

I run my remote hf station out of necessity (read deed restrictions).  I
would much rather have my station here at the house than at my office.
Setting up a remote station is not a trivial matter and has more
disadvantages than advantages as compared to a normal home station.
That being said...

Current contest rules already cover remote stations.  Heres are a few
quotes for the ARRL general contest rules:
3.7.All transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500-meter
diameter circle, excluding antennas.

3.7.1.This prohibits the use of remote receiving installations.

3.7.2.Exceptions:

3.7.2.1.Stations remotely controlled by radio link may use necessary
equipment at the control point. This does not include using the control
point as another receiving location.

CQWW rules state, in a nut shell, that "Transmitters and receivers must
be located within a 500 meter diameter circle or within the property
limits of the station licensee's address, whichever is greater.  All
antennas used by the entrant must be physically connected by wires to
the transmitters and receivers used by the entrant"

Per the above it would be against the rules to use more than one remote
location for receiving.  So in my case I could not transmitt from my
remote location and use a receive antenna here at the house (funning
thing is its currently ok to do this for DXCC) or some other location.
Once you pick a remote tranmitting location you must use the same
location for receiving.

As Korey has already mentioned using the internet, a UHF link or other
control means is simply an extension of your mic,keyer and speaker.
Nothing else has changed.  Current FCC rules cover remote operation as
well as contest rules.

Now if someone wants to put the resources into a remote station on KP4,
D4 or any where else more power to them.  A remote station requires just
as much maintenance and interaction by the station owner as a normal
station located at your home.  I would dare say its more work, remote
links do break down and requires regular interaction at the remote
location on a regular basis.

Rich - N5ZC