Re: [CQ-Contest] D4B QRT - new member of CQ CONTEST HALL OF FAME?

To: Jim Neiger <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>,"CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] D4B QRT - new member of CQ CONTEST HALL OF FAME?
From: Andrei Nevis <v49a@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:24:43 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Jim and everyone:
I would induct AL - 4L5A/D4B  INTO CQ CONTEST HALL OF FAME, Al well deserved it.
Jim, your email is the best recommendation on it. What do you think?
73's Andrei EW1AR-NC2N

Jim Neiger <n6tj@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I saw it coming, but I just couldn't believe it would be so soon, or abrupt.
Our friend Al 4L5A / D4B has pulled the big switch at his Cape Verde Super
Station. Its happened, the station is down, and Al (hopefully only for the
moment) is no longer contesting.

What Al did at D4B during the past four years or so, is simply amazing. As the
sunspots turned down, his scores went up and up - piling records upon his
(usually) records. Both SSB and CW - D4B was simply as potent as it could be.

Al sometimes made more than a few of his erstwhile competitors change their
categories before the contests. Including me. Perception was sometimes that Al
would be "difficut" to beat.

In my 50 years of contesting, I have never known a more enthusiastic contester.
All he ever seemingly wanted to talk about was contesting. For literally hours
at a time. While a non-native English speaker, he was really good on SSB. And
his usual 50+ wpm CW in the contests could definitely spin you around when D4B
went blasting past.

And Al was also generous to a fault, as he often shared his unbridled
enthusiasm and good fortunes with total strangers, with gifts of equipment in
the thousands of dollars. All he asked for in return was that his gifts be used
in contests.

I first connected with Al some 25 years ago, and knew him by his "younger" name
of Alik, and his UF6 Freddy Freddy Freddy and RF0FWW calls. We exchanged some
token gifts, and while I was putting Cape Verde on as D44BC in the CQ WW CW
contests during 1985 - 92, Al was quietly taking notes, building his very
successful company, and all the while plotting to build his D4B Super Station
very high up the mountain from D44BC's.

Build he did, and under some very trying circumstances and environments, he
kept D4B a force to be reckoned with in too many contests.

Al calls me his "Teacher". I think about the only things I ever taught him was
(1) where the Cape Verde Islands were situated, and (2) how NOT to win from one
of the world's best locations.

Some are naturally speculating as to why D4B has quit. It's complex, of course,
but significantly while Al has expected nothing but the best from himself, he
has hoped for nothing less from the rest of us. And realizing that his
expression of his concerns, recommendations, and offers to help to make our
contests better have seemingly fallen on deaf ears, he has apparently given up
on trying to change the system, and quit.

And what "concerns" has he communicated to me? For instance,

(1) blatant cheating, like un-assisted using packet and similar means. And
multi-operators claiming single operator.

(2) contest sponsoring committee's bending rules to accomodate special friends.

(3) contest sponsoring committee's playing patty-cake with obvious cheaters
instead of disqualification in the public domain.

(4) contest sponsors treating our contests as if they were their personal toys.

etc. etc.

While I sincerely wish Al had not taken this path, I understand and respect his
feelings. I try to tell him to not take it all so seriously, that there will
always be emperors (my word) and evil empires (his words), to just try and look
beyond them, and have fun.

I can only surmise that for Al's investment in time, energy, resources - with
possible detriment to his health and well being - expended in the pursuit of
excellence at D4B, it was just no longer worth messing with a game that he
perceives is less than it can be.

I hope that Al will return from somewhere before too long. There's now a big
void at the top.

Vy 73,

Jim Neiger N6TJ / ZD8Z