Re: [CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight [was:UBN/Log disclosure...]

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Competing in the Daylight [was:UBN/Log disclosure...]
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 09 Oct 2005 18:46:15 -0500
On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 17:57, Jack Brindle wrote:
> There are several problems with real-time scoring, but the most
> glaring is that it provides the same service as packet spotting. It

A simple step would be to not report the exact frequency, just the
band.  My test project showed exact frequency simply because that's
what's in the field in N1MM.  If I were working with TRLog it would have
shown just the band -- and it would be pretty easy to accomplish the
same with my program running against N1MM.

I'm not so sure the information was of much value in a Sprint<grin>.

(but I certainly get your point, with regard to "normal" contests.)

In general, how much information (if any) should be displayed for each
QSO?  (I received one message in private email that suggested *no* data
should be displayed on individual QSOs, only aggregate data -- total
QSOs, total mults, total score)

I have come to believe it was definitely right to not display exchange
data, and am coming to believe exact frequency shouldn't be there
either.

What's the audience for this kind of system?  People who are
participating in the contest and want to police their competition for
cheating?  Or spectators - non-participants who want to watch what other
members of their club etc..  are doing?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66