[CQ-Contest] WW SSB

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB
From: Alan Leith <aleith@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:06:09 -0400
Two things bothered me about this weekend's CQWWDX SSB contest:

1.  The flagrant use by US stations listening down on 40M, Canadians
between 7000 and 7050 and Europeans and South Americans using the bottom
end of 40M on SSB.

2.  The useless spots on packet for Europeans.  Packet was moving so fast,
most of the time, I couldn't keep up with all the crappy spots.  I, for
one, didn't need to see a spot for an overpowered European contest station
that was 40 over.  I won't name the offenders who did the spotting but I
think they should have known better.

I know that Canada, and perhaps many other countries, don't have sub bands
but enough is enough.  Granted, the bands are crowded but for goodness
sake, don't squeeze out those of us who like CW.

I read RX9TX's comment about sub bands in Russia and I have to say, I like
the idea.  We used to have something like that in Canada before the
government department responsible abdicated its responsibilities and dumbed
down the amateur service in this country.

There was a time when I didn't miss a contest but that's changed over
time.  I spent a lot of time listening this weekend, even made a couple of
QSOs, and I really didn't like a lot of what I heard, especially on 40M.

Maybe my testosterone levels have diminished.

73

Al, VE1AL