Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB

To: "N5IET Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 07:27:12 -0500
This subject has been high on ham radio's agenda at ITU conferences at least
since WARC 79, and believe it or not, change is coming.

The following is from http://www.iaru.org/rel030703.html

" The big news for radio amateurs is that there will be a dramatic improvement
in the 40-meter band! After weeks of debate and efforts to resolve great
differences between numerous proposals, including strong positions for no
change, the conference agreed to shift broadcasting stations in Regions 1 and 3
out of the 7100-7200 kHz band and to reallocate the band to the amateur service
in those two regions. The allocation in Region 2 of 7000-7300 kHz remains
exclusively amateur. The broadcasting band in Regions 1 and 3 will become
7200-7450 kHz and in Region 2, 7300-7400 kHz. The change will take effect on 29
March 2009, less than six years from now -- a relatively short time by ITU
standards.

In Regions 1 and 3 the 7100-7200 kHz band will become exclusively amateur on
that date. A footnote containing the names of countries that are mainly in
Region 3 and the Arab States makes the band also available to the fixed and
mobile services in those countries on a primary basis."

RAC reports, in http://www.rac.ca/~darf/40metre.htm , that there is some risk
amateurs may lose 7200-7300 at WARC 2007, but  it's probably too early to be
either optimistic or pessimistic about that.

73, Pete N4ZR