Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R -- revised opinion?

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R -- revised opinion?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:28:56 -0800
At 05:59 AM 11/11/2005, Kelly Taylor wrote:

>I sympathize, but like many practices we accept, I don't think that because
>some people aren't yet adept at SO2R is a reason to punish those who are.
>
>It's still a legitimate skill worthy of reward and worthy of allowing an
>operator to rise above the pack if he's able to do it.
>
>73, kelly
>ve4xt

I don't think anyone wants to "punish" the SO2R station. I admire the
guys who go to the max to increase their scores. My only objection is
lumping SO2R scores together with SO1R. The two-radio advantage is
huge, much like going from low power to high and deserves its own
category. SO2R stations can both listen and transmit during 100% of
the contest, whereas SO1R is limited to about 50% of each. Its
roughly like having twice as many hours to operate. Nobody would
think that was fair, would they?

Those of us who prefer the traditional one-radio style should not be
categorized with the multi-radio stations any more than QRPers should
be categorized with the kilowatt guys. The time is long overdue to
fix this basic unfairness.

Yes, I realize contesting will never be totally "fair", but this is
one area where the playing field could be made more level with very
little effort. In years past this was done with LP vs HP, single op
vs multi op, and the time has come to equalize the multi-radio issue too.

73, Bill W6WRT