Re: [CQ-Contest] 40M expansion?

To: "Lawrence Stoskopf" <stoskopf@tri.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40M expansion?
From: "Mark Steven Williams" <k9gx@n4gn.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:32:29 -0000
Hey, Larry,

Modes A and B are already in use on MEDIUM WAVE stations, 9 khz (EU) or 10
khz channel spacings (Region 2)

Modes C and D are used in SHORTWAVE transmission where selective fading is
an issue.

Shortwave broadcasters are already allocated 10khz bandwidth channels.

What the site explains is how the AAC plus codec compresses the data rate to
APPROXIMATE 19 kHz bandwidth audio. I use AAC coding every day at work for
remote broadcasts over ISDN lines. I'm a broadcast engineer. Our company
shall remain nameless, but we probably own a radio or TV station in your
town.

ITU is NOT going to reallocate broadcast band plans and channel allocations.
The concept of DRM is to provide a robust, quality encode/decode scheme for
short and medium wave broadcasters to improve intelligibilty and reduce
susceptiblity to interference within existing channel allocations.

You should only wish and pray that DRM would be established as the worldwide
standard broadcast codec. It's open architecture would allow you to design
your own software driven receiver. Instead, those of us here in the U.S. are
having to suffer with Ibiquity's AM IBOC. It leaves a lot to be desired.

Your time would be much better spent railing against the potential
interference of BPL.

Who actually wrote that article? Don't think they have their facts
straight...and, in case you hadn't noticed, our "expanded medium wave AM
broadcast band" here in states was extended to 1700 kHz years ago.

See you on the radio.

Mark S. Williams
K9GX
Elizabeth, IN