Re: [CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting - 24 Hour

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting - 24 Hour
From: "Jim Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:46:26 -0800
As one of the Senior Set, still trying to sometimes run with the Big Dogs - I
can attest that its become more of a challenge now to go 48 straight in a
contest.  More of a mental achievement  than a physical.

But that's the way its always been.

And if I can and do, so what??  And if I cannot, and don't, who really cares
one way or another??  In that I've set a personal goal of serious contest
DXpeditioning for 33 more years, at which time I'll hit 100 years, is just
that:  some ridiculous goal for which no one cares but the undersigned.  Well,
maybe Delta Airlines cares..............

Contesting is one of the more personal, and perhaps self-centered, pursuits
that anyone has ever devised.  You and your radio.  You trying to excel as a
communicator of the highest standard.  You trying your utmost to reach some
goal, whether it be to break a silly pile-up, make 1000 QSO's, work 100
countries, or find 10 hours by yourself in the shack.

And that is good.

At the end of the day, only you will rejoice if you met any of your goals.  As
my dear friend Ville OH2MM opined to me when we were together in Brazil at PT5A
3 years ago, "Jim, only you will remember your Number One's.  Realize that,
have fun, and only take yourself seriously".  Great thoughts to absorb from one
of our forever best operators.

Where am I going with this, you might ask?

After too many years of what I'll label "reluctance" to minimize our pursuit of
operating, I can now say that I am 100% supportive of a "Competitor Friendly
Class" whether it be 24 hours, 36 hours, or whatever.

Let's allow each individual operator, post contest, to declare that he wishes
his log to be scored on a To Be Determined period of the total contest.

We can do this without shortening the overall contest.  Just let each determine
how much of the contest he can/ will/ wants to, operate.

And why the heck not?  Overall, the contest might just experience renewed
interest and participation, and for sure, many of our friends will feel that
they can still compete and have fun - without killing themselves.

 And that would be good.  Let's make it happen.

Vy 73

Jim Neiger   N6TJ   ( 9 Y 4 A A  next week )