Re: [CQ-Contest] Exchanges

To: "Robert Higgins" <rwhiggins@bellsouth.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Exchanges
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:45:32 -0600
OK, for a second, I thought Mal's suggestion was a clever tongue-in-cheek
little joke. Then someone started taking it SERIOUSLY.

Why do we care if it takes someone two or three QSOs to copy an exchange?

First: they must still copy it THEMSELVES, even if they copy 1022 and start
typing 1023 or 1024 for their QSO. So it's not like

Second: if they are that new (welcome to contesting! please come back!
please visit the CW subbands again!), it's not like they pose a threat.
Don't we WANT newbies to stick with contesting, particularly given the stats
on the greying of SS CW checks?

Third: how many of us (military radiomen aside) can honestly say we didn't
practice copying CW in just this very fashion?

Contests aren't just for die-hard contesters. If we don't realize this, they
soon will be. And then where will we be? (CQ Contest, CQ Contest, anybody,
anywhere. C'mon folks, it's only Friday, CQ Contest, CQ Contest).

73, kelly
ve4xt