[CQ-Contest] operating time

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] operating time
From: "Randy Johnson" <randyj@loan-wolf.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:29:57 -0800
I think I enjoyed this reflector better when everyone was bitching about
operating time instead of bitching about zero-point QSO's, so I'm going to make
an attempt to revive that almost busted thread.

BTW, I'm drawing Social Security and simply cannot do without sleep at night so
the rules make no difference to me.  I do what I can, and go to sleep when the
time comes.  But it would be nice to be competing in a class with others
similarly "handicapped."  There are a few contests which effectively mandate an
"off period" and those sure makes sense to me.  If SO were limited to operating
36 out of 48 hours, who is hurt by that?  Is it possible that some people would
simply not enjoy operating 36 hours, that they would NEED to operate all 48 to
get their fix? Hard to believe. Let those people find a M/M station and operate
one of the stations for all 48 hours.

My recent solution in CQ WW was to operate 20 meters only, a choice dictated
partly by health and partly by having no desire to transport, string up, and
take down a bunch of other antennas in a Field Day type environment.  Under
current propagation conditions, the band isn't open half the time, at least
where I was, in C6. That gives ample time for normal human activities. Sure I
only operated 22 hours or so, but I sure had fun in doing so and didn't miss
the other 26 hours.

Randy W6SJ/C6AWS