Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 - Where are all the people?

To: va3uz@sympatico.ca, py5eg@iesa.com.br, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2006 - Where are all the people?
From: "Zoli Pitman HA1AG" <ha1ag@myway.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:29:49 -0500 (EST)
Dear all,

Referring to Yuri's post I have to mention is actually that (the 50% limit of
M/S scores in ranking) is the point I found the most controversial among the
rules and the one I oppose the most.

I oppose it in general because WRTC is truly a MO competition and this point
seems to get missed during the selection criteria definition when this rule was
added.

In addition, in Central EU the traditional way of contesting is multi-Op. See
the tough competition in M/S and M/2 classes in the region. It is mostly based
on the old, by now almost extinct club station system and also on the fact that
most ops can't afford to build up a competitive station on EU scale. In
addition club stations are social focal points what most people prefer to
lonesome contesting. Even many of those who could afford to pursue SO
successes.

Thus due to this 50% limit the selection from the region would be biased and
the most likely passing candidates from Central and Eastern EU would be:

- a few fortunate guys who can afford to travel regularly as SO (=rent-a-QTH)
or even fewer but not less fortunate guys who have built (or "privitized")
club-grade contest stations

- those who claim to be SOs in major contests while actually MOs (see top IARU
scores), and will have enough qualifying points next to their MO scores.

So actually I will be one of those who won't bother to compile any application
due to be MO only but anyway, what the heck, life will go on even without me in
WRTC-06. :)

73, zoli ha1ag