[CQ-Contest] "Trigger happy" 12V PSUs

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] "Trigger happy" 12V PSUs
From: "Clive Whelan" <clive.whelan@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:47:13 -0000
Hi list

Slightly off topic. please excuse me.

For several years I have used a Nissei PS1225 switch mode PSU to power
TS870s and various other gear, with no trouble.

However, recently a shack re-jig meant that this unit now powers an ICOM
7400 (=746PRO in the U.S.). This trips the Nissei, even when the ICOM is
switched off about 75% of the time. The consensus seems to be that there is
probably a high value electrolytic directly across the ICOM 12V terminals,
which is looking like a short cct for a brief instant, and causes the Nissei
to fold back. Clearly this combination is incompatible, and I will need to
throw some money at the problem, but I need to avoid falling  into the same
trap again. Therefore, I wonder if any of you have reccos. for a reliable
12v unit ( switch mode or linear) for the 7400/746PRO?

tia

73

Clive
GW3NJW