Re: [CQ-Contest] QRP - Get Over It

To: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRP - Get Over It
From: "Richard Allisette" <rallisette@cwgsy.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:26:47 -0000
Dear Contesters,

Whether signing /QRP is legal or not matters not jot or tittle. What matters is that it is unnecessary and irrelevant.
I hold a semi-rare callsign. I am on the receiving end of small CW pile-ups daily. If I had a dollar for every QRP station I have wasted time trying to fathom out what he was signing after / I would have bought my own Pacific island by now and be signing something far rarer.
The only time signing /QRP is possibly justifiable is when calling CQ on a recognised QRP calling frequency. That way other stations may realise that you are weak because of your power, not because of lousy conditions.
Even then that's a personal choice and not something I would choose to do.
FWIW I regularly DX using 5 watts from an FT817, I also run QRO from an FT1000MP/Acom combo.
Which I choose depends on my mood and conditions. My operating procedure does not change.
The best QRP contester I know is Steve G4EDG. No-one knows he is running QRP until the results are announced and his call appears in the QRP section - usually near the top.

73

Dick GU4CHY

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Renwick" <ve5ra@sasktel.net>