Re: [CQ-Contest] [DX-NEWS] LotW Support by ARRL Officials & Officers...

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [DX-NEWS] LotW Support by ARRL Officials & Officers...
From: Didier Juges <didier@ko4bb.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:47:05 -0600
I would like to submit a couple of comments:

1) while apparently a large number of hams have had no problems getting
their logs in LOTW,  and I had no problem myself trying the beta
version, apparently the beta version has spoiled the two main computers
I normally use for ham stuff such that I have not been able to get into
the final product, in spite of much effort by the ARRL staff and two
different sets of keys issued. I finally gave up and I have no desire to
try again. I like paper QSLs better anyway. Receiving this piece of
paper from far away is a significant part of the fun for me. I believe
that a number of hams have had similar problems, and from my informal
survey, the amount of difficulties is not related to the computing
experience of the individials. This piece of software is NOT friendly.
It took me less time in total to get internet access to a dozen bank
accounts and credit cards accounts than I spent with LOTW. Security is
important, but there are examples where it can be overdone, or maybe the
tools and methods are not the most appropriate for the job.

For those who can't afford the cost of paper QSLs, I upload my logs to
eQSL, which is an inexpensive way for others with limited resources to
confirm that they are in my log. It's not perfect, but it's simple and
inexpensive, in line with the hobby for most of us.

2) I know my regional director personally. I respect him a lot for his
dedication to the ARRL and to the ham population. He is mostly active on
FM/VHF and up, he is always available to help someone who asks for
information on any FM frequency from 2m and up, and always there to help
other hams, at antenna parties, to fix the club repeaters and other
activities, in addition to his ARRL duties. These activities do not lead
to the heavy use of QSLs or LOTW, so I am not surprised he is not
participating. I would have been very surprised if he did.

There again, the ham hobby has many facets. LOTW is only useful for some
aspects of it, so making this a test of worthiness in representing hams
is very short sighted.

Now, on the other hand, those ARRL officials who are active on the HF
bands and chose not to participate in LOTW better send paper QSLs...

Didier KO4BB