Re: [CQ-Contest] [DX-NEWS] LotW Support by ARRL Officials &Officers...

To: "'Didier Juges'" <didier@ko4bb.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [DX-NEWS] LotW Support by ARRL Officials &Officers...
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:56:59 -0500
KO4BB wrote:

> This piece of software is NOT friendly.
> It took me less time in total to get internet access to a
> dozen bank accounts and credit cards accounts than I spent
> with LOTW. Security is important, but there are examples
> where it can be overdone, or maybe the tools and methods are
> not the most appropriate for the job.

As someone who lobbied hard to make LoTW secure, I'm quite biased on the
subject. Of course, I don't believe the security is overdone, but I can't
disagree with your statements on the friendliness of the software or the
appropriateness of the tools. Fundamentally, the LoTW security design does
not force the software to be difficult to use. There is but one significant
inconvenience built into the security design: waiting for the activation
password in the mail (for USA hams) and sending in documentation (for
non-USA hams.) The rest of the security system can be made more transparent
to the user than it is now. I think LoTW would benefit greatly from some
changes in terminology, user interface and error handling. With a few
exceptions, I think the website is pretty well done, but more work needs to
be done on the PC end.

While I recognize the time constraints on ARRL officials, and the fact that
DXers and contesters make up a relatively small part of the membership, I
have to agree that HF-active board members ought to take a few minutes to
get setup on LoTW. They carefully considered the project and voted to
authorize significant funds for the development. It would be good due
diligence on their part to personally evaluate how it has turned out. I
think if they did, they might consider allocating a bit more resource to
finish the job.

BTW, if you think bank and credit card access via the internet is secure, I
have a personal horror story to tell you. I'm still getting unauthorized
charges to my card four months after cancelling it. You wouldn't believe how
loose some of these systems are. There are some secure banking systems out
there, but virtually all of them require some sort of ID through the U.S.
Mail, like LoTW.

73, Dick WC1M