Re: [CQ-Contest] New category: "Wires only"??

To: <ne0p@lcisp.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>,"'peter.voelpel'" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New category: "Wires only"??
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:45:41 -0500

> Wouldn't a single element wire also include a rhombic?

> >I can see it any day at "Deutsche Welle"
> >there wire antennas have 23-28dbi of gain

Who cares?  If some has the initiative to put up a Bobtail or half-square,
or a non-steerable rhombic (been there, done that), they'll still be
competing against other entries in the "wires"  category.  Same as the guys
with multiple stacks/towers competing with a guy with a tribander at 35'.

I remember my rhombic well, worked like gangbusters into a small segment of
eastern EU/Asia but was mediocre otherwise.  Also attracted lightning from
several miles away!

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, FL
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"