[CQ-Contest] Real-time score collection

To: CQ-Contest Post <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Real-time score collection
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:24:32 -0500
I was thinking about the process of collecting and displaying contest scores in
real-time, and came up with an idea I thought I'd share with you. This would
augment - not replace - the current web-based proposals being implemented by
Bruce, Dave and others. It's pretty simple:

Use the existing packet/telnet network.

What's required:
- Packet cluster software needs to implement a few new commands and have access
to the contest scores database
- Contest software needs to generate a score message that goes out over
packet/telnet every so often.
- Contest software needs to be able to retrieve and show leaderboard info.

Leaderboard information would be submitted and retrieved over the packet/telnet
connection

set/contest K1IR ARRLDXCW MS          [call, contest, category] - defines what
contest I am in
set/score ARRLDXCW MS 10                [contest, category, leaderboard update
interval (minutes)] - lets the system know what leaderboard I want to track
score K1IR 555 100 666,777                [call, QSOs, mults, score] - uploads
my current score
sh/score ARRLDXCW MS                      [contest, category] - request for a
filtered leaderboard display

Of course, none of these messages are broadcast to other users. Part of the
reasoning behind this idea is to reduce the complexity of submitting scores and
viewing leaderboards from DOS-based software. This implementation would utilize
packet capabilities already part of CT, TR, etc.

73,

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.k1ir.com