Re: [CQ-Contest] Poisson d'Avril Contest

To: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Poisson d'Avril Contest
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:02:20 -0800
Wow! Way cool! My memory and logs show that due to technical
difficulties (lack of a receiver) that while licensed in 1971, I
didn't actually get on the air until the next year, 1972.

So does this mean that I actually had a QSO in 1971 that I just
didn't know about? Should I go take a fresh look at my logs to see if
this QSO has been added? It _has_ to be there, after all the FCC
required good log keeping back then.

Imagine, my first QSO with a DX60B and a GR-64 general coverage
receiver...

On Mar 16, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Zack Widup wrote:

> When I used the time machine in 1996 and recruited The Old Man
> (1AW) and
> Clarence D. Tuska (1WD) to help operate, there was no "real time" - at
> least, we were pretty confused about it. We did manage to work
> every ham
> that had been licensed, in all the years that they were licensed,
> but it
> really wiped us out.
>
> I still think I should've won for getting Nikola Tesla into the
> act. No
> one else had done that successfully. That was the most difficult
> part of
> the contest.
>
> 73, Zack W9SZ
>

> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 K3BU@aol.com wrote:
>

>> Another milestone in contesting!
>>
>> The progress can be followed in real time on the live Interham
>> scoreboard two
>> hours before the contest. Dan Rather and CNN declared him winer
>> based on the
>> exit polls.
>> Hundreds of hams quit in frustration, seeing that they can't catch
>> up. Those
>> busy watching the progress forgot to make QSOs. Live CAMs kept other
>> contesters off the bands, they were dazzled by the live video from
>> the last year's
>> contest.

- Jack Brindle, W6FB