Re: [CQ-Contest] Multi tests in 1 wkend

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Multi tests in 1 wkend
From: "Pat Collins N8VW" <n8vw@linuxcolumbus.com>
Date: 30 Apr 2006 22:07:53 -0400
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:43:00 -0400, Jim Reisert AD1C
<jjreisert@alum.mit.edu> wrote :

> At 02:34 PM 4/30/2006, Dale Putnam wrote:
>
> >I want to work both New England qp and 7 qp.
> >I have one primary machine.
> >Would like to use one test program.
> >Don't want to use paper for one test.
> >Would like to keep the two seperate. Different scores, different
> >bands, different radios.
> >Now to complicate it further. I have CT, NA, Winlog, N1mm, XM log,
> >and even an older DOS program, all are not built out for 7qp, but I
> >have tried the later suggestions. Altho that seems to make it only
> >one qp to play in. If someone can do SO2R, why can't I do SO2QP?
>
> It's theoretically possible, but not easy.  Here's what I suggest
> (this assumes that you are outside of both W1 and W7):

Reason #96 to switch to Linux for contesting.

You mean to say, not easy under Windows.  Using TLF under Linux I can run as
many contests as I care to on CW because the keying program (cwdaemon) is
not part of the logging program.  I could even run the keying program on a
seperate computer if I really wanted to waste electricity.  I'm pretty sure
the radio interface also works with multiple instances of TLF running,
although since I switched computers in the winter I haven't got the serial
ports to work on this new to me (ie used) machine yet.

> Now you need to separate the Cabrillo file into two logs - one which
> has the NEQP QSOs, and one which has the 7QP QSOs.  If you're
> familiar with Unix tools like "grep" this should be easy.  Actually,
> it would not be hard for me to write a program to do this for you.

Windows XP has a similar although less powerful tool called findstr.

Pat N8VW