Re: [CQ-Contest] FT1000D interface

To: "Mark Steven Williams" <K9GX@N4GN.COM>,"Contest Reflector" <CQ-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT1000D interface
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 17:08:55 -0700
From: "Mark Steven Williams" <k9gx@n4gn.com>
To: "Contest Reflector" <CQ-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 9:00 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] FT1000D interface

> Contesters,
>
> I recently acquired a very clean FT1000D. Got a heck of a deal on it.
> Picked up the INRAD front end roofing filter kit from George at Dayton so
> I'm almost good to go.
>
> The only problem is the radio did not come with the FIF-232 CAT interface.
> I doubt Yaesu is still selling the FIF-232 or it's successor although I
> just sent them an inquiry on that. Anybody have one of these laying around
> they'd be willing to part with for a fair price...or an alternate
> solution?
>
> I'd consider building something...but right now I have quite enough other
> maintenance projects going on here at K9GX, so an "off the shelf" solution
> would be preferred. Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide.
>
> 73, Mark, K9GX
> Elizabeth, IN

MFJ makes an RS-232 interface for the FT1000:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/man/pdf/MFJ-5383Y.pdf

Caveat emptor - the first one I purchased took weeks to arrive
and didn't work when it finally got here. After I complained loudly
and furnished a test report personally addressed to Martin with
a run down on the myriad of manufacturing flaws which proved
that his service technician's claim that they tested the unit before
shipping couldn't possible have been true, they sent me a new one
which worked fine (guess maybe they really did test the 2nd one).