[CQ-Contest] New Ham Countries;

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] New Ham Countries;
From: David Burger <DBurger@energy.com.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:28:02 +1000
Dear all,
I hope Montenegro has far better fortunes with proper recognition than the
2nd last 'NEW' country to come onto the ham radio scene. Specifically
'Timor Lorosae' or in English  'Timor Leste'.

The original 4W allocation was made to UNTAET on 25 October 1999 during
the start of the United nations transitional period. This lasted to May
20, 2002 when ALL licenses were suspended.  Timor Leste declared
Independence on May 20, 2002, and the ITU then re-allocated 4W to 'Timor
Leste'.  Timor Leste began issuing ham radio licenses on September 27,
2002.

Now here is the weird bit....
- It took over 2 years for the ARRL award administrators to get the
Country name correct !!!
- The e-qsl.cc  website still conveniently bypasses this Country
altogether, although they do show the UNTAET entity...

Good luck Montenegro..

David Burger VK2CZ / 4W3A

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you have
received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return e-mail
and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected your
business contact details for dealing with you in your business capacity. More
information about how we handle your personal information, including your right
of access is contained at http://www.energy.com.au.