Re: [CQ-Contest] Filters

To: John Laney <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>,cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Filters
From: Mike <k4gmh@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:21:01 -0400
Hello John,

Your warning of having the filter in the line while the ATU is tuning
is interesting.

The series coupling capacitor on my homemade 40 meter W3NQN filter
has blown twice and your warning may explain why.  The series
capacitor is made up of several 1000 V capacitors in parallel and
still blows which I originally thought was due too much current
flowing through a single capacitor.

The W3NQN filter that keeps blowing is on the second radio, IC746,
connected to a EF240X.  The EF240X does exhibit a reasonable SWR on
the freq. in use (<1.6 : 1 SWR).   However, the 746's ATU is still
used for 40 meters.  A SteppIR is used on 20 - 10 and don't use the
746's ATU.  The second radio isn't used on 80 meters as I only do
SO2R in RTTY contests.

Fortunately, the W3NQN filters are homemade, but it's still a pain to
open the box as all six filters are built on a single PC board along
with the switching.  Another set of homemade W3NQN filters are
installed between another IC746 and a homemade GS35-B amp. which has
a flat, <1.2 : 1 SWR, input on all the bands.  The IC746's ATU isn't
used with the amp.  The filters are not used for non SO2R operation.

Thanks again for sharing your filter experience.