Re: [CQ-Contest] Filters

To: <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Filters
From: "Mario, S56A" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 23:31:37 +0200
I am well aware of W3NQN long time involvement with filters design.  I also
studied K4VX and W3LPL solutions.  I know top DL7AV HP BPF design.

I remember opening ICE filter for the first time and admiring KISS design
with 500 V mica caps.
Knowing filter theory, it was obvious that improvements can be made by
simply taping the coil (Dunestar).
The price you pay is higher voltage on caps.  Same occurs in W3NQN design
with additional stress on serial coupling circuit with high L/C ratio.

My engineering optimal solution would be Dunestar configuration tested at
YT6A.  When the money is no limit, I'd go for W3NQN.  I rarely blew-up
electronics!

Disclaimer: I am discussing this subject from purely tech viewpoint although
I am aware that this might influence some marketing decissions.

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU